Whether making something from scratch or customising something you already own, you can find all sorts of fabrics and all sorts of trimmings to match. You can really go crazy and create your own look, so if you have time to get creative here are some excellent fabric and finishing stores in Edinburgh:
- Edinburgh Fabrics – Nicholson Street, packed with all sorts of fabrics, some beautiful, some ghastly! Good stock of trimmings, some very bollywood/bellydance in essence, the staff are very efficient and if you catch them when they’re quiet they can be very helpful
- Mandors Fabric Store Edinburgh, 131 East Claremont Street, Edinburgh, EH7 4JA.
- The Cloth Shop – 169 Bonnington Road, Tel: 0131-554 7733, not been in a while, best phone to check still open! Huge store with lots of variety and a large stock of fabrics
- Jenners – Princes Street, have a small haberdashery department of mostly trimmings but it’s well worth a visit
- John Lewis – St. James Centre, they all bar did away with their Haberdashery department a few years ago but have since reintroduced many things, again, it’s a fairly small dept but it’s well stocked and you can find some gorgeous fabrics and trimmings, iron-on motifs and sequins for the cause. The staff are quite knowledgeable which can be invaluable.
- There are also many saree shops on Leith walk which can be excellent for bellydance and stock some very glamourous bits and bobs – they’re quite glad for the extra custom
- Hobbycraft – mostly arts and crafts but you may find jewels, sequins etc that would work just as well on a costume!
If you have somewhere you’d like to add, please do, this is all I can think of right now!
I find a wander round any store like these can be so inspiring, even if you have no intentions of actually making anything, there’s just something quite therapeutic about them. I also think inanimate objects have feelings so don’t just take my word for it!